Many people wouldn’t think twice about protecting their home, health and loved ones with an insurance policy. Most of us are even accustomed to protecting our computer files with some type of backup. But, when it comes to protecting your personal belongings, are you falling short by not making use of an inventory to document what you own, and its value? Are you really prepared for loss, damage or theft of the things you’ve worked hard to acquire, or your valuable family heirlooms?
Making use of home inventory software is a quick and simple way to document your belongings and what they’re worth. An inventory software program will enable you to safeguard the value of your property in several ways:
• When moving to a new home, an accurate inventory can back you up in a claim of loss or damage to your possessions.
• If you’ve had a burglary, your up-to-date home inventory can expedite the reimbursement or replacement of your stolen items.
• In the event of a fire, flood, or natural disaster, your inventory will help you recover what was lost and rebuild your life.
• You can establish an accurate resale value for your home by knowing the value of added improvements that you’ve made.
• Documentation of your belongings makes estate planning easier, and ensures that your wishes are carried out after you’re gone.
After seeing the benefits, what should you look for in a home inventory software program? Convenient organization of information is the first step. Whether you want to enter your inventory by room, or by category, the program should be able to handle your preferences. A good software package will also give you the ability to store digital images of your belongings and documents. Look for a program that offers a free trial, so you can know what you’re getting before you buy. Built-in insurance and value assessment calculators are helpful. Secure password access and automatic file backup are also necessary features.
To put your inventory software to best use, keep it up to date every time you purchase a new item of value, make a home improvement, or get an important document. By making a habit of retaining receipts and scheduling regular updates, you will keep your inventory current. An accurate home inventory will give you peace of mind and ensure that your valuables aren’t at the mercy of insurance companies, movers, or disasters. Home inventory software is a great way to organize your life and belongings and a vital tool for protecting what’s important to you.