Your hair can be luxurious and long or short and choppy, for most it is the ultimate way of expressing an individual style. Whatever the individual style you decide for your hair, it’s important to know the steps to take care of it. Visit a hair salon in NYC and get the perfect haircut and style and then follow these important steps to care for your hair:
- Learn how to choose the right products for your hair. Your hairstylist can help you learn about specific hair care products and those that you should look for to care for your hair. Based on your hair’s chemistry, whether oily or dry, thick or thin, coarse or fine, there are specific products that will give you better results. Some of the products you will want to include to care for your hair are shampoo, conditioner, leave-in treatments, hair sprays, mouse, and styling gels. The specific products and brands will depend on your individual hair.
- Know how to wash your hair. With good quality shampoos, you should be able to wash your hair less frequently and still achieve fantastic results. Look for shampoos that are formulated for your specific hair type to achieve the best results. Most cosmetologists will suggest that you wash your hair every other day or twice a week if possible for the best results and to maintain hair health.
- Understand the importance of conditioner after washing your hair. Shampoo takes out not only built up dirt from your hair, but often strips your hair of needed essential oils. The role of conditioner is to help replace the nutrients and moisture that is needed to maintain healthy hair. Just as shampoos can be specifically formulated for specific hair types, so can conditioners. Some also come available as leave in conditioners meaning you don’t have to rinse them out.
- Learn about the difference between naturally drying your hair and using a blow dryer. When possible professionals suggest allowing your hair to dry naturally after a quick pat down and comb through. This is less damaging for the hair than repeated heat drying treatments.
- Don’t over brush or style your hair as this can cause the hair to break. In addition to avoiding over brushing, you can reduce the affects of brushing on your hair by choosing a natural fiber brush. These are gentler on hair and help you achieve natural looking results quickly. When styling your hair, be aware of the affects of heat from curling irons and wands.
Your hair is an important beauty asset. Learning to care for your hair through daily techniques as well as learning about how lifestyle and diet can affect your hair is also important. And remember, visiting a professional regularly to trim split ends will help to keep it healthy and looking its best.